Growing up my brother and I (and my cousins) always begged my nonna and/or mom and auntie to make us "rolls with jam". They were our FAVORITE and seemed so special because they would make them out of a few simple ingredients in just a few minutes. Nonna always rationed them out to us (2/kid) so that my brother could have the majority of them (like, at least 6) since they were his ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. Nonna calls them "omLETTE" and we always called them rolls with jam. I made them recently for my fiance's friends randomly one night and they kept raving about them and saying they understood why he was marrying an Italian girl (and running so much to burn it off haha- 4 people ate a double batch in about 5 minutes!!!!).
Here's the basic recipe:
Rolls with jam
(yields: 4 huge or 8 medium ones)
4 heaping tablespoons of flour
2 flat tablespoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of lemon zest
"approximately" 1/2 cup milk (add as needed to reach the right consistency)
butter for frying
powder sugar to decorate
apricot jam, or Nutella
* Mix all ingredients in bowl
* Heat non-stick skillet to medium-high heat
* Melt butter in pan (1/3 teaspoon for each roll, just enough to spread in pan)
* Pour an almost full ladle of batter into the frying pan and immediately swirl the pan to cover the entire surface evenly with batter
* Cook until edges loosen and bubbling begins (approximately 45 sec.-1minute- the edges will turn up)
* Flip. After about 30 seconds remove from pan and spread a thin layer of jam or Nutella over one half and roll up
* Sprinkle with powdered sugar
* Finally, eat as many as you can :)
- The batter should be realllly thin. Add enough milk to reach that consistency.
- If you like things a little sweeter you can add a capful of vanilla extract
- Don't worry about the first couple looking not right... for some reason the first ones are always yucky!
- If you don't want to use butter use SOMETHING (Smart Balance, etc) because it makes the crepe brown nicely and helps the batter to be distributed evenly (slick pan)
- Any kind of milk you have in your fridge is fine.
- Don't be afraid to adjust the batter after you see the first couple cook.. I usually add a little more milk if the crepe looks a little flat.
- Don't add too much batter to the pan. One small ladle is enough- you want these to be really thin!
My favorite classic combos:
1. Low sugar apricot jam (it has little bits of peel in it and is just amazing)
2. Nutella + banana slices
3. Nutella on its own
4. Orange marmalade
5. Strawberry preserves (not my favorite at all).
These really make a big statement when stacked next to each other on a nice tray and sprinkled with powdered sugar.. your guests are sure to love them!!!
Good luck, and enjoy!