Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Market Shopping Week #3

I imposed a weekly budget for myself at the supermarket. I really could spend more, but I really want to try and not be wasteful. So the goal is to reduce my spending as much as possible while keeping my cabinets more empty (instead of say, 3 open boxes of kashi crackers) and using up everything I buy.

I only could Monday breakfast through Friday lunch as my weekly budget, since I can never anticipate what my weekend will be like... dinner out, going to Philly to see my boy, wedding meetings in prov which = weekend lunches out, you get the idea.

Week #1 I spent $20, and used a lot of the stuff in my cabinets
Week #2 I spent $30, which included nothing too expensive, I guess I just bought more.
Week #3 I spent, er, $70!!!!! I couldn't believe it. And, I went back last night for a couple of forgotten items and a new mop which I never should have bought from the market, and spent another $30. Ew.

Here's why I think I spent more:
1. I made those cupcakes on Sunday which required a few $$ items that I don't normally stock in my kitchen
2. I had 5 girls over for dinner last night, and I really wanted to cook a nice, fresh, healthy meal.
3. I bought a bunch of Smartwaters, which is my beverage of choice at work, along with hot tea and seltzer water. I tried using a reusable water bottle but the water just tastes funny to me, even in one of those Sigg ones. At home I drink out of my Brita.
4. The blackberries were $4.99 a pint, but they just looked so amazing so I bought 2.
5. I bought a stupid mop from the market since Target and the other good stores are like 20 minutes away and I was really excited to polish my floors.
6. I went to the market hungry. 'nuff said.
7. My PhillyBoy is coming this weekend and I must have yummy goodies for him! Wraps and lettuce and cheese and veggies.. all of his favs

Is anyone else as inconsistent in how much they spend/week?

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

the only thing im consistent with at the grocery store is i always spend too much money. i try to only buy stuff on sale... but it's hard to keep the budget down! i'm impressed with your $20 and $30 weeks!!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

Caitlin- to be honest I was impressed with my $20 and $30 weeks too, I could easily spend $80 a week just on myself (with maybe 2 dinners with friends over) and that is while STILL thinking about not spending too much haha. But I will keep trying, and hopefully have another $20 week soon!